December 22, 2012

Films

I like watching films a lot. Although, I sometimes fall into such a melancholic state that a feeling of "nothing is good enough" conquers my mind. It took me a long time this time and it was my boyfriend who insisted on watching a film rather than another part of our favourite series. And he was right. 

Here are short reviews of some films I've seen lately.

1) John CarterTransplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.


My opinion: Honestly, I fell asleep. Three times. Even in the middle in the afternoon. That says it all.

2) BraveDetermined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.


My opinion: This adventure fantasy film makes it impossible to stay indifferent. The story is cute, although I didn't care for the change the magic potion used by Merida has to offer. It seemed a bit extreme. However, everything else in the story is believable, the graphics are so meticulously made, I don't think I'll ever be able to forget Merida's red hair. Another thing are her father's funny jokes. He made me chuckle every time he opened his mouth. And the best thing yet? The Scottish accent! I loved every word they said. And because of it, we've been watching this with some of my students. And they love it, too.

3) SkyfallBond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her, bringing MI6 under attack.

My opinion: James Bond once again. It's evident its from the same brand as the other films, but this time, I loved seeing more Judi Dench. I love her and think she's a great actress. The story is OK.


4) Pitch PerfectBeca, a freshman at Barden University, is cajoled into joining The Bellas, her school's all-girls singing group. Injecting some much needed energy into their repertoire, The Bellas take on their male rivals in a campus competition.




My opinion: I love a capella singing. And this film is full of it. I wish our country would organize such competitions, but I'm afraid I won't live to see it. The story is very cheesy  but on the plus side, it does not include a typical "we're soul-mates but can't be together" love story. It's a nice surprise.



Have you watched any of these films? What do you think?

Sources: www.imdb.com, en.wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment